Dental Implants are the closest someone can have that is comparable to their healthy, natural teeth. They allow patients to live freely without pain or discomfort. A dental implant patient can confidently eat a variety of food, smile, laugh, talk and enjoy many day to day activities without the stigma of “bad teeth”. Dental Implants are bonded to your natural bone along your jawline. They become the supporting beam for an artificial tooth. Artificial teeth (also knows as crowns) are made to match your natural teeth & comfortably fit your mouth.
Dental implants have been around for thousands of years & with the help of modern technology are extremely successful in many patients. Following Dental Implant surgery, you could experience some discomfort. Cold Therapy can assist in relieving some of that pain & inflammation following the procedure. When performed by an experienced and well-trained surgeon, Dental Implant surgery is one of the safest procedures in the world of dentistry.
Fun Facts about Dental Implants
- Ancient dental implants have been traced back to around 600 AD, when tooth-like pieces of shell were hammered into the jaw of a Mayan woman.
- Dental implants are the only dental restoration option that preserves natural bone, actually helping to stimulate bone growth.
- In 1951, a small group of dentists who were successfully placing dental implants formed the AAID – American Academy of Implant Dentistry – to share their knowledge on the practice of implantology. AAID is the first professional organization in the world dedicated to advancing implant dentistry.
- In 1952, Swedish orthopedic surgeon P.I. Branemark discovered that titanium naturally fuses with bone, eventually switching his research focus to the mouth from the knee and hip.
- 3 million people in the United States have implants, a number that is growing by 500,000 annually.